Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Quick and Healthy Breakfasts for Kids

So, the parties are over. We've almost recovered. I'm still nursing a bruised tailbone. I'd tell you the story about how I fell in Wal-Mart, but it's too embarrassing. Especially the part about how my bags of party stuff went everywhere and I shot a mean look to the woman who tried to help me because she was talking too loud, and like I said, it was all so embarrassing, so I'm not going to tell you about it.

I thought instead I better jump in here with some useful information for a change.

Healthy breakfasts for the kids. I can't say enough about how important it is for your little darlin' to start his or her day with nutritous, substantial food. Essential.

Why do kids need to eat a healthy breakfast?
  • Nutritious foods are "brain foods," so kids will stay more alert and perform better in school
  • Eating early keeps weight under control by kick-starting metabolism
  • Better nutrition means less sickness
  • Kids will have "full feeling" longer with a low-sugar breakfast
  • Economic value of eating at home

Now, I hear what you're saying, and don't think I can't see you shaking your head over there on the other side of my computer. But there isn't time. There just isn't tiiiime, if only we had time to fix healthy breakfasts, but we don't. No time at all.

Go back and read my fancy bulleted list. Healthy breakfasts are important, worth making the time. I've put together a list of quick, healthy breakfasts that will help you send your kiddies on their way when time is short.

  • Whole grain cereal with milk, topped with fruit (choose cereal with whole grain as first ingredient)
  • Yogurt parfaits (layer yogurt/fruit/granola or whole grain cereal in a clear up, because even little kids appreciate presentation)
  • Whole grain waffle, topped with fruit and 100% maple syrup (a little goes a long way) OR whole grain waffle topped with peanut butter
  • Breakfast bar (choose lowest-sugar option, again choose a whole grain option), fruit and milk
  • Oatmeal and boiled egg

Some of you may need tips on motivating kids to eat breakfast.

  • Present several options, and let them choose
  • Discuss the night before what they might like for breakfast
  • Consider filling out a menu for the week

I'm all about the lists today!

Got any questions? I'll be glad to tackle them for you. Also, stay tuned... I'm doing a fancy product review soon. I'll also post a few pics from the birthday chaos. Don't worry. One of them will not be my bruised tailbone.

8 comments:

3 Bay B Chicks said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
3 Bay B Chicks said...

I have to tell you again what fun it was to see my friend in action, as well as her lovely kids, on the video clip. Thanks again for helping me to navigate to it. SO worth it.

I have also been remiss in thanking you for connecting us with the Blush product. Katie has been great. We'll probably be doing a giveaway for her product in May.

We are launching a new idea on our site on Thursday. Now that you are experienced in front of the camera, let me know if you would be interested in joining in sometime. It could be fun!

-Francesca

The Healthy Hostess said...

I love the info on this post! I am about to print it and take it into my school's cafeteria ladies who consider Honey Buns breakfast. I am currently fighting, I mean working with our cafeteria to get healthy breakfast for our students instead of the junk they give them because it is cheaper. Love your insight, as always!
:)

Anonymous said...

These tips & tricks are great and creative. Nice work! I am going to post this on my company's Twitter feed because healthy options are great options.

If you're interested, see www.twitter.com/DMC_Heals for the link.

Thank you for the wonderful ideas.

Dan Fuoco
Detroit Medical Center

paula said...

Great post..Hey I have a very interesting resource to share with you.Feeding your kid by Habit Changer shares some real life experience of parent who have struggled feeding their kids healthy food and finally managed to get the break through. Processed foods items will not provide the nutrients, variety and balance which body requires for functioning properly and staying healthy. And many more interesting facts, I found it very useful; it’s called Feeding your kids Program. Guide to healthy Eating

paula said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Who knows where to download XRumer 5.0 Palladium?
Help, please. All recommend this program to effectively advertise on the Internet, this is the best program!

KrishaLiva said...

This is really informative as well as an interesting post to read. This is what parents should keep in mind to keep their kids healthy. Thanks for the post!
-----
Krisha
pediatric emr