Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Flat-Out Wraps / My Kids Won't Watch TV, rats

I'd like to say it's because I have hundreds of creative and engaging activites up my sleeve to keep the kids happily away from the TV all day, but sadly, no, not the case.

I just don't understand why anyone would rather stare at me and whine than to zone out to Sesame Street. Call it a blessing, call it a curse... the hour before dinnertime, I call it the culmination of all my past sins come back to haunt me.

The cute snack food I mentioned in the previous post will only go so far before food will no longer pacify their thirst to see Mommy make the famous face that years from now, when they're 30, will be the humorous subject around the dinner table. Hey, Mom, make that face you used to make when you were mad at us! It's sooooo funny!

Well, as of a week or so ago, I came up with a plan, and so far, it's working. (If I could write that sentence in a whisper, I would, so as not to tempt fate.) The plan... make the half hour before dinner time 'TV time,' even if it killed me.

I picked Biscuit's favorite cartoon, 'Wow Wow Wubzy,' and announced in a thrilled-beyond-belief tone, It's Wow Wow Wubzy Time! Biscuit was willing, but Blondie and Red were not buying into it.

I sat little Red down on the sofa, telling him, you get to watch TV! I sat little Blondie down beside him, and it was as if the sofa were made of needles or hot coals, and her body ricocheted off like a bouncing rubber ball.

I was prepared for that.

I immediately sat down on the sofa myself, and feigned an intense interest in Wubzy. I joked with Biscuit, I can't believe Widget did that! all the while totally ignoring the twins.

Red gave in, even snuggling beside me, eyes wide to what all the fuss was about. Blondie, however, kept her distance and proceeded to tip back the recliner... occupied by her big brother. Minor setback, but still I dug in.

I frowned at her and told her, your brother is trying to watch Wow Wow Wubzy! As if she had interrupted him taking his SAT's.

After several days of this same routine, Blondie finally gave up her attack on her brother and sprawled on the floor, singing to herself. To this day I maintain the sacred half hour of Wow Wow Wubzy, treating the time as a necessity, along with breathing, food... you get it.

What does this have to do with healthy eating? Not much. I DO have a favorite tip for you, though.

FAVORITE BREAKFAST...

If you haven't discovered flatout wraps, then you are missing out. If you live in Knoxville, grocery stores carry several varieties, but Wal-Mart is the only one I've found to sell the 'light' flatout wrap, which has 0 sugars. This is the best, by far, and for breakfast...

I sprinkle grated cheese and turkey on one of these and stick it under the broiler for a minute or so. TDH and I have been starting our day with these for over a year. SO good and filling, the combo of protein and fiber will really keep you going.

I'll keep you posted on how TV time is going, and for those of you disappointed in me for resorting to TV, remember, I could be forcing them to watch TV while I bubble-bathed or downed a glass of wine... hmmmm, now there's a thought :) Lori

No comments: