Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Proud or Embarrassed?

When Biscuit was born almost five years ago, a massive influx of batteries began to make their way into my home. I can still remember the size and quantity of batteries his favorite toys required, mostly because I changed them a zillion times.

I pride myself on being an organizer (even thought of doing it professionally once upon a time), and true to form if you open my pantry door you will find the 'battery basket,' complete with all kinds of batteries and various screwdrivers.

My point? Well, since the birth of the 'battery basket,' I can't begin to tell you the number of times I have reached in for a battery and stabbed myself with the tiny little screwdrivers. Practically every time. And also every time, I say the same little bad words... in my head, under my breath, or out loud, depending on who's in the room.

Well, today, my friends, I experienced one of those moments where the angels start singing and you feel like God is smiling on you. And as I placed the screwdrivers, point-side down into a little cup, and then put the cup in the basket, I felt like the most brilliant person in the world.

So, should I be proud or just really embarrassed for not thinking of it the first time I stabbed myself? I'm going with proud, because let's face it, those little 'brilliant' moments are few and far between!

(Okay, here's my food transition, so get ready...)

The 'battery basket' isn't the only thing in my pantry. Some of my favorite pantry foods are (remember, I have a 4-year old and 2-year old twins)
  • mandarin oranges in their own juice
  • Barbara's Fruit and Yogurt bars (the lesser of all evil cereal bars that are available at my regular grocery store)
  • Uncle Ben's Ready Rice (whole grain brown, 0 sugars!)
  • tuna (in water)
  • Muir Glen Fire Roasted tomatoes (for my spaghetti sauce)
  • whole grain pasta (any brand with 0 or 1 sugar)

Try this snack for the kids: Mix crunchy peanut butter and toasted what germ, then roll to create bite-sized balls. Roll the balls in coconut or crushed peanuts for a sweet or salty covering. The wheat germ is wonderfully good for kids, no sodium and low in sugar. Wheat germ is also packed with protein, so this is a great way for kids to move their protein SuperNoots magnet! -L

No comments: